We Had No Idea How Lucky We Were

When Juliana was 18-months old, she got her first ear infection.  Each winter she would get the one-day stomach virus that was sweeping through daycare.  Last year she was sick for a week with the flu (that was a rough week).  I can count on one hand the number of phone calls I have received from childcare/school since she started at 7 months old.  I thought this was typical – 1 stomach bug and a few standard colds each year.

The boys are at the other end of the spectrum.  The ear infections started in January for both of them.  Ruslan had ear infections again in February, August, and the latest one this week.  Wyatt was a repeat offender in May, August, and October. 

In the months of October and November, we were in the Drs office 8 times.  Sure 4 of those visits were for flu shots and well visits, but that still leaves 4 sick visits in 8 weeks.

In addition to the ear infections, there have been numerous stomach bugs, and mystery fevers – all requiring me to pick-up one of them early and in many cases keep them home the next day as well.  I am incredibly lucky to have an understanding boss, the ability to work flexible hours, and have family in town.  I have no idea how people who have hourly jobs and no family as back-up survive these situations when it has been a struggle for me.  It’s no wonder I ended up in the ER with a migraine in the midst of all this. 

Wyatt had a bad cold throughout the long holiday weekend so when I got the call from childcare on Monday this week, I was surprised to hear that Ru was the one with the fever.  He had similar cold symptoms, but he didn’t seem as sick as Wy.  I was able to get the last appointment of the day and ran out the door to make it on time.  We started the antibiotics that night for his ear infection and Tuesday he was very sleepy and snugly – he took 2 very long naps and just wanted to sit the rest of the time. 

 Wednesday morning he was still not himself, so I kept him home.  After a long morning nap, he woke up feeling much better and back to the mischeivous Ru. 

We decided to ask him if he wanted a bite of sandwich…

Today Ru went back to childcare for a normal day.  After dinner the boys had baths and got ready for bed.  I was getting Wyatt’s milk for him and he started coughing and crying and up came his dinner.  He was sick several more times over the next hour, falling asleep in my arms in between.  3 changes of pjs later, he was asleep for good.  Since Scott was asleep on the couch, I let Wyatt sleep on him for a little while before taking him upstairs.  Hopefully he got everything out of his system so he can get a good night sleep tonight.

1 comment to We Had No Idea How Lucky We Were